mods under protest

Go Back   mods under protest > General

Old 06-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Dude Beer
grits expert

MUP Recipes

Let's make a MUP cookbook. Maybe we can pdf it together for download; or I will just print everything off at the public library without paying for the prints, then bind it together with staples.

Here is something I am going to try to make tonight:

"Some sort of ham and cheese bread bake jones"
By: Dude Beer

Ehh...actually I don't know exactly how I'm going to make this. But after I do, I'll post the recipe and pics.

Dude Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
monsterriffs
ambulance chaser

Get ready for a beast of a recipe right here...this is a version of my family's spanakopita (spinach pie) recipe:

Unlike my regular spanakopita, this was a Lenten version, so it contained no eggs and no cheese and is really known as a xortopita (greens pie). For this particular pita, I used the following ingredients:

3 bags baby spinach - the Giant had these and for something that is prepackaged, they are surprisingly reliable
1 bunch swiss chard (white stems)
3 leeks
1/2 to 3/4 cup dill (roughly)
1/2 to 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (Greek preferred) for wilting the leeks; 1/3 cup oil for brushing the phyllo
8 sheets country-style phyllo (you can use the regular thin kind, but you will probably need to double the amount of sheets needed)
1.5 tbsp kosher salt (use less than a tbsp if using regular iodized or sea salt)
Pepper to taste

De-stem the spinach leaves and put aside in a large bowl for washing. This is a pain in the butt, but it is necessary to remove unnecessary fiber that the tastier chard stems will provide anyhow. For the chard, cut the leaves from the stem and then cut the leaves into quarters or smaller pieces. Also, peel the fibrous bits from the chard stems because otherwise they're going to be tough and impossible to eat like the celery at the staff lunch yesterday! Cut the chard stems into chunks of about 1" and put the chard leaves and stems into the bowl with the spinach and wash everything 3 times or as many times as you think will get the dirt off. I forget how much water you need to add, but if you have a large pot, fill about half of it, bring it to a boil and blanch the greens til tender.

Next, prepare the leeks. Just cut off the roots and a sliver of the flesh from the base of the leek and then cut down to the center of the root with your knife and cut the entire leek lengthwise. This should open up the layers of the leek so you can rinse the crud out. After rinsing the leek, start cutting the leek into pieces of a quarter-inch width and put into a bowl. Do this for all the leeks and then when finished, rinse them in a colander and toss them with your hands so you can separate all the rings as best as you can. After that heat up about 1/2 to 3/4 (depending on how many leek rings you got) cup oil in a medium sized wok, or failing that, a medium non-stick pan. Heat the oil to a medium high heat, just to the point where it shimmers and then add the leeks and wilt them til they are tender. Remove from heat and add the leeks with the oil to the bowl where you will also add the dill. For the dill, just remove the stems and mince it fairly finely so that it can be evenly distributed.

Hopefully by now, the greens will have cooled enough to the point that you can handle them comfortably and squeeze the life out of them, or at least, until you have gotten as much of the juice out as possible. Do this by the large fistful and put the drained greens on a cutting board then then cut them into chunks and put them into the bowl with the dill and the leeks. Add the kosher salt and pepper to the bowl with the greens, leeks, and dill and mix everything well so that you have an even distribution of everything throughout the filling.

Prepare a pyrex pan for the phyllo by brushing it with olive oil and then start layering the first five sheets of the phyllo, brushing them gently with olive oil. After that, add the filling and distribute it evenly throughout the pan, fold down the edges of the phyllo and then the final three sheets are layered slightly differently over the top where you lay the sheet hanging over the edge, brush the part that's on the pita, then fold over the other half on top. Repeat this for the other two sheets, score two lines the length of the pita, preheat the oven to 400F, and cook til the phyllo is a nice golden brown.

When making the regular pita, I add one egg (if I recall) and maybe 6 to 8 oz of feta (I don't really like a lot of cheese actually) to the filling.
monsterriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Simulacra
be havin' the sam cassell face

This could be interesting, I'd like to see BNO's contribution, hopefully it includes combining items from multiple fast food spots. My latest joints are:

-red chard risotto
-sweet tea vodka mojito
-curry vegetable pot pie
-curry-roasted radish & potato salad sandwiches
-baked ginger-soy radish & tofu
Simulacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
asxyouxwish
be havin' the billy ripken face

DINNER:

1. get yr woman to make it.
2. watch tv.
3. eat dinner.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
asxyouxwish

FANCY DINNER:

1. go to your local alternative weekly's website.
2. go to the most recent "best of" dining section.
3. find some place that serves a couple dishes you can't pronounce.
4. make a reservation.
5. have the valet park your car.
6. enter restaurant and enjoy dinner.
7. pay for it. all of it. tip well.
8. get your car from the valet. tip well.
9. get laid.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Dude Beer
grits expert

I made some unethical bread dough last night out of just flour, yeast, salt, and water and it turned out pretty awesome. I think I put a little too much olive oil on the pan, which turned out to be a good thing since the dough sucked some if it up and made the bread taste sort of like pizza dough on the outside. I didn't really form the bread or anything, and just dropped a grapefruit sized chunk of it onto a cookie sheet. But goddamn it was good. It looked sort of like a bread UFO. tonight I'm going to do the same thing, but put some ham and cheddar in the middle. If anyone can think of other stuff to put in there, get at me before like 4.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
asxyouxwish

add a volcano taco.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Simulacra

capers soaked in white wine
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
Dude Beer
grits expert

I might have some leftover taco meat.

OH also, my girl's grandmother bought a big case of Sloppy Joe mix from Sam's Club thinking it was spaghetti sauce. So I could put like sloppy joes and cheese in the middle. Maybe some hot sauce or jalepenos too. Or maybe cut up some hot dogs and mix it with mac and cheese and dump it in the middle.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
asxyouxwish

all of those at once. stay hungry.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Simulacra

scallions
Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
Dude Beer
grits expert

My girl wants to make a desert bread slop thing tonight too. I'm going to pick up a bunch of rando stuff like powdered sugar, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cinnamon, raisins, who knows.

On the other meat one, I should nab some gravy too. That would be mint to throw over it at the end.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
BrandonSD
vegas baby, vegas

Stuff that shit with cheese, chili, and fritos!
BrandonSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Dude Beer
grits expert

I might let my step daughter create her own mess to drop in the middle. I imagine it will involve Cocoa Puffs, Bananas, and Candy Canes.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Simulacra

crimini mushrooms
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
comeondieyoung

Original Ryan family recipe.

"Cheesy-weeny-beenie-burgers"

Lay bread on baking sheet. Cut four hot dogs length-wise and lay across bread. Layer baked beans overtop. One slice of american cheese. Add yellow mustard. Bake until done.

Now that I take the time to look at this, it just seems like my mom got this recipe from a hobo. Delicous though.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
avery
vogue intern

lol. why am i a tag in here?

i'm making carne asada fries tonight:
2 lb flap steak

-marinate with 1 diced onion, 4 cloves garlic, kosher salt, ground pepper, juice of a lemon & a lime, cumin, handful of cilantro, 1 tall boy (tecate), dash of olive oil for 1 hr (24 hrs preferred).
-grill.
-dice up.

fry potatoes.
make guacamole.

layer diced carne asada over fries, then cheese, then guacamole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
When it comes to Facebook I am a pompous cunt.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
comeondieyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
2AM London Sandwich

- 1 baguette or french roll
- sliced salami
- cream cheese

Cut the baguette in half. Place some cream cheese in it. Put the salami over the cream cheese. Close the baguette. Eat the sandwich.
I want to try this soon.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
BNO
petulant child

If you're cooking salmon do yourself a favor and get yourself some of that Emeril's Fish rub. The shit is amazing, so amazing. It's like the NBA.

who are you??

Well, we're anonymous...
BNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
BNO
petulant child

Both of the girls. Beth and Avery.

who are you??

Well, we're anonymous...
BNO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avery, bougie motherfuckers, ethical recipes, heisel, hungry mups