mods under protest

Go Back   mods under protest > General

Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
monsterriffs
ambulance chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan pastepunk View Post
Think about this though - one day your a relatively unknown Governor from a not-so-populated state, and the next day, you're forced to parse every word you say, because it will be exposed several hundred million people. I don't think many of us would prosper under that kind of public scrutiny so soon. She's obviously not an idiot, at least in the scientific understanding of the term, but it's brutally clear that she far removed from the expectations we have of a national political candidate. Making politically dubious decisions and statements doesn't render one an idiot...
I didn't say she was an idiot or that her decisions made her one. I said she SOUNDS like one. I think any of us can sound like an idiot without too much effort, but it doesn't bear any reflection on our actual intelligence. However, with respect to Palin, I don't think her experience is remotely close to what someone in the no. 2 position should have. However, the GOP in the last 10 years has made it abundantly clear that credentials are not exactly at the forefront of selecting a good candidate.
monsterriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #22
FunnyGamesDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan pastepunk View Post
Making politically dubious decisions and statements doesn't render one an idiot...
Sure, "idiot" is a strong word. (Anyone thinking of last night's "The Office" here?) But if we can all agree on her dubious words and actions, maybe we're just arguing semantics.

Quote:
Think about this though - one day your a relatively unknown Governor from a not-so-populated state, and the next day, you're forced to parse every word you say, because it will be exposed several hundred million people. I don't think many of us would prosper under that kind of public scrutiny so soon.
Journalists have been handling Palin with kid gloves, and she still has had poor interviews. McCain has intensely shielded her. I don't think that more intense scrutiny and questioning would be unfair. This is a job interview for the #2 spot. And if she wins the post, she'll have to be speaking to the entire world.
FunnyGamesDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #23
Simulacra
be havin' the sam cassell face

How about, although one must assume a requisite degree of intelligence in a VP candidate/governor/former mayor, Palin's an idiot for being willing to accept a VP nomination, shoot into the national spotlight, then embarrass herself, her running mate, & her party via a spotty political history, deliberately limited interview exposure, & fumbled interview responses.
Simulacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #24
jordan pastepunk
Dadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGamesDC View Post
I don't think that more intense scrutiny and questioning would be unfair. This is a job interview for the #2 spot. And if she wins the post, she'll have to be speaking to the entire world.
I'm definitely not arguing otherwise. She is just a bad joke on this level. I think Judith Warner from NYT gets it spot on today:
http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/poor-sarah/

www.last.fm/user/jordanpastepunk
jordan pastepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #25
FunnyGamesDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulacra View Post
How about, although one must assume a requisite degree of intelligence in a VP candidate/governor/former mayor, Palin's an idiot for being willing to accept a VP nomination, shoot into the national spotlight, then embarrass herself, her running mate, & her party via a spotty political history, deliberately limited interview exposure, & fumbled interview responses.
You got it. Makes you kinda feel sad, huh? She should have known better.
FunnyGamesDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
Simulacra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGamesDC View Post
You got it. Makes you kinda feel sad, huh? She should have known better.
I think that giving a shit about all of that makes you a factor in the new celebrity machinations of politics, so I don't. But I feel sad that this is the state of affairs, & that I'm further dissuaded from voting, further persuaded to live apolitically & just deal with it.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #27
stayouttamalibu
hell of a caucasian

i would love to tap that ass.
stayouttamalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #28
monsterriffs
ambulance chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayouttamalibu View Post
i would love to tap that ass.
really? even after she's pooped out like 5 kids?
monsterriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #29
John

She definitely hasn't mastered the "politician answer" yet, where you are able to respond for 5 minutes without saying a god damn thing.

The "gotcha" questions are so retarded though. She's been studying her ass off for weeks just to have answers to these questions. These interviews aren't aimed at actually getting any information out of her, they're just trying to get her to contradict herself or say something really boneheaded. When's the last time anyone sat down with Obama and quizzed the shit out of his brand new database of knowledge and looked for the tiniest discrepancies? And why is there zero coverage on the NUMEROUS gaffs that Joe Biden has made?

They are all fucking politicians. She's just not as practiced at bullshitting.

Remember all those horrible Clinton-Obama debates? They would start out with stick-it-to-you questions but the two of them would skillfully turn it around and ramble on for the first half hour of the debate without saying a single relevant thing.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
stayouttamalibu
hell of a caucasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethesdacore View Post
really? even after she's pooped out like 5 kids?
absolutely.
stayouttamalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #31
Dude Beer
grits expert

stayouttamalibu is going to use his celebrity stats to get a threeway with Palin and her preg daughter. so hot, send me pix of the mix-in. tytyty

Dude Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #32
comeondieyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayouttamalibu View Post
absolutely.
Ditto. I wouldn't mind looking at a hot vice prez.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #33
Darth_Fracas
some say he thinks fulham football club is a hot new strip club in culver city

i think it's safe to say that joe biden will run circles around her in their VP debate, which will result in cries of "sexism" from the mccain camp.

and how weak is it that mccain doesn't seem to think the debate tonight is important?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #34
BrandonSD
vegas baby, vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
There is no guarantee that an Obama/Biden ticket is going to display profound amounts of success, anymore than Mccain/Palin.
Yeah dude, of course there are no guarantees. There never are. But c'mon. If you can't admit to yourself that Palin is a borderline retard, then I don't know what to tell you. If you seriously think that she has any business being a VP candidate then I would love to hear why. I really think McCain blew it. I was always going to vote for Obama in this election but I supported McCain in 2000 and up until Palin, still respected and thought highly of him, although I think he sorta sold his soul to get the nomination and isn't the same dude he was in 2000. The Palin choice blew it for me. It's like the equivalent of Bush nominating Harriet Myers for the Supreme Court. It had nothing to do with who would be the soundest choice and everything to do with the fact she has a vagina and is strong neo-conservative. If this is the kind of judgment that he is going to use if he gets elected, I want him as far from the White House as possible.

And those few clips BNO gave is just the tip of the iceberg. I've seen way worse than that, like when she didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was. And this argument that since there are other people who struggled in front of the cameras and in debates but are actually really intelligent and thoughtful so we should try to give her the benefit of the doubt is ridiculous. (Maybe that was not the point you were making, but that's what it sounded like to me) Who gives a shit? Great for them. What the hell does that have to do with Palin? It's also possible that someone that comes off dumb and uninformed in interviews and debates is actually just dumb and uninformed.
BrandonSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #35
Simulacra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Fracas View Post
and how weak is it that mccain doesn't seem to think the debate tonight is important?
It's not important, because it's already happened, & McCain won:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...Friday_WSJ.JPG
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #36
ebullientsoul
yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Here is what I don't understand guys. Looking at this from an objective viewpoint, why should I feel safer with an Obama administration, based off who his running mate is, than a Mccain administration. Some of the dumbest political decisions in this country have been made by it's most educated/elite. It is a roll of the dice either way gentlemen. There is no guarantee that an Obama/Biden ticket is going to display profound amounts of success, anymore than Mccain/Palin.
There's no guarantee of anything, that's true. I think it's reasonable to ask what do you do to stack the odds in your favor in this case? Would you rather have someone with this set of experiences in the Vice Presidential office, or someone with a different set?

Etc. Etc.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
asxyouxwish
be havin' the billy ripken face

this is getting to be one of those dumb threads.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #38
kevin
crossword extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by asxyouxwish View Post
this is getting to be one of those dumb threads.
i thought the same thing when i saw 40 responses in like 3 hours.

i think the general consensus is that whoever wins, it won't be because of the VP nominee. palin's an idiot and biden's an asshole, and both candidates screwed up their choice.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #39
Darth_Fracas
some say he thinks fulham football club is a hot new strip club in culver city

at least obama didn't pick clinton. that woulda REALLY screwed things up.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #40
John

with respect to the thread tag, did we ever figure out what a FLIRJ is?
John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flirj, i'd rather be fishing, i'm a cop you idiot, mom jeans